Vegan Split Pea Soup
Submitted By: Rhonda Malkmus
This hearty delicious soup is great for winter evenings. Serve with some healthy crackers or homemade bread and a salad. You can find this recipe on page 75 of Rhonda's Hallelujah Holiday Recipes book.
- 1 lb split peas (soaked overnight, rinsed, and drained)
- 2 quarts vegetable soup stock
- 2 large baking potatoes (peeled and shredded)
- 1 leek (sliced)
- 3 celery stalks (chopped)
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1 tsp ground cumin (or to taste)
- pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ tsp Celtic or Himalayan salt (or to taste)
- ¼ cup dried parsley
- distilled water (add to soup if too thick)
Organic ingredients are always recommended.
- Soak peas overnight and drain.
- Place all ingredients in a large stockpot and bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer until split peas are soft.
- Transfer about 1/3 of the mixture to a blender, cool, then blend until creamy. (CAUTION: Do not blend hot soup; cool it first. The steam from hot soup can cause the blender lid to blow off.)
- Place blended mixture back to the stock pot and serve.
If a creamier soup is desired, allow all contents of stockpot to cool and then add in batches to a blender and blend to desired consistency.
Spruce up your salads, enjoy a dessert and make every meal a treat.
Type a keyword or choose a category to search our Hallelujah Diet recipe section.