Hallelujah Acres rebounds from weekend fire
Read the article from Shelby Star's website.
May 6, 2009 — Shelby, NC
One hour after Hallelujah Acres wrapped up a health seminar involving more than 300 people, a fire broke out in the building causing smoke damage and destroying two offices.
When an employee returned to the building after the event, they discovered the smoke and called the fire department.
That was Saturday.
Earlier this week, Paul Malkmus, vice president, said in spite of the fire, believed to have been caused by electrical problems, business hasn't missed a step.
"We're in good shape," he said. "Our main operation never missed a beat."
He said they are doing customer pickups and are in the process of relocating staff.
Malkmus said they hope to have everything back up and restored in two months.
Though they lost their store and cafe in the fire, as well as two offices, they have put a mini store together which will open Monday. The store will be located at 834 South Post Road, beside the original building.
"We're fortunate to have a building we could roll right into," he said.
He also applauded the firefighters that responded.
"The fire department did a phenomenal job," he said. "They were extremely professional and responsive.